Shocked & Appalled

Random rants

1/18/2006

Recent reads

The Lighthouse, by P.D. James

James is an excellent writer, I always enjoy her books. But they don't work for me as mysteries. Either her writing is too opaque, or I'm just not quick enough, but when she gets to the end I'm always like "wait, how did he know that so-and-so was the killer? And that the schoolteacher was really his aunt? When did he say that?" I frequently end up flipping back through the book to see if I missed something.



Eleven on Top, by Janet Evanovich.

Again not really a mystery, but fun. I like the books, I like the Jersey girls. She's getting a bit repetitive, but occasionally, you just want something funny that doesn't make you think too hard (and it's a nice respite from chick lit for that).


Early Bird, by Rodney Rothman.

Writer for Letterman and Undeclared loses job, moves to Florida to "practice retirement." Hysterical. I don't know if it's quite as funny if you didn't have a Grandma in Century Village (yes! he actually moves into Century Village! I know!) but if you're at all familiar with that aspect of Florida, it's a hoot.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home