Shocked & Appalled

Random rants

11/18/2005

Chestnuts

What is it with me and the food writing lately? Been thinking about Thanksgiving to much, I guess. I've been on a quest to find cooked chestnuts for my carmelized onion and chestnut stuffing. I made this stuffinga few years ago, and it was really good, but that was before the kids, and then I use fresh chestnuts and roasted and peeled them myself, and frankly, not gonna happen this year. The people on the Food channel are always using canned chestnuts, but I've never seen them in the store, so I was wondering if they were some foreign thing like demerara sugar that Martha has access to but they don't carry in the Star. However, made an emergency pit stop at Trader Joe's on the way home from work yesterday to get cranberry juice for the Little Ballerina, and there was a package of cooked chestnuts right in the produce section.

These are shrink-wrapped, not canned (they look kind of like a package of figs) but I'm hoping they'll come out ok. Otherwise we're just having stuffing-flavored stuffing, because I don't have the energy.

1 Comments:

  • At 10:29 AM, Blogger Lone Ranger said…

    I'm going simple this year. I bought a Jones Soda holiday pack. There are five bottles of soda -- turkey and gravy flavor, herb stuffing flavor, Brussels spout, cranberry and pumpkin pie flavors. My only conflict is whether I should drink it hot or cold. And I've never been a big fan of pumpkin pie.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home